Sunday 9 March 2014

Rabbit in the Moon: Lunar Bunnies are Just Lovely



Restaurants in Joburg have really excelled in fine dining over the last few years. In Jozi, the trouble isn't finding a good restaurant, it's picking just one. The standards are high, and there's no shortage of great competition. Even having lived in this magnificent city all my life, there are still stacks of restaurants I haven't tried (I'm coming for you).

Rabbit in the Moon was one such restaurant. I'd driven past it, fallen in love with the name and the clean, open space, and shamelessly stalked it online, but I'd never actually eaten there. So when Simon, the owner and manager, offered to wine and dine JD and I, I was over the moon! (Did you see what I did there?) I had high expectations because, as I've said, restaurants in this part of the world are pretty damn good. Well, high expectations and all, I was not prepared for what awaited us. Holy bunnies of the sky, where to start?



Let's go with the ambiance, since that's the first thing you notice when you arrive. Rabbit in the Moon is an indoor-outdoor restaurant, with tables extending to a cleverly-constructed garden with tall glass walls that shield off the traffic noise. The tables here are dainty and quaint, with the most fantastic Indian theatre chairs! I've never seen these before, and it was just the sort of attention to detail that gets me intrigued about a place (aren't they gorgeous?).


Then there's the service. From the warm welcome when we arrived, the service didn't for a moment waver to anything short of excellence. The waiters were friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and quite willing to help us out with suggestions when we were overwhelmed with what dessert/cocktails to choose (read: All. The. Time).


Simon, the owner and manager, was completely attentive and happy to tell us all about the restaurant, the menu, his favourite dishes - absolutely anything. I appreciated this, but, even more so, I appreciated the way he did so with every single table.

We've reviewed restaurants before where the manager paid us lots of attention but ignored the other guests who wouldn't be writing about the experience. Simon attended to each table individually, whether they were regulars, there for the first time, or (pick me) writing about the experience.


And then, of course, the most important part: the eating and the drinking! JD and I are both huge fans of cocktails, and Rabbit in the Moon's cocktail menu has no shortage of exotic and wonderful options! We decided on the Cucumber moon (their signature cocktail) - vodka, cilantro, cucumbers, agave nectar and lime juice (for realz) and the Hemingway Daiquiri - white rum, maraschino liquor, grapefruit juice, simple syrup and lime juice. Both were delicious, although I liked the combination of white rum and maraschino liquor the best!



For starters, we went for the bruschetta with emmenthal, provolone and asiago with honey and basil (R58). I'll be honest with you, I have no idea what all of those things are, but woah when you put them all together they taste AMAZING! The inclusion of honey gave it an absolute wow-factor, making it totally different to any kind of bruschetta I've ever tasted before. It was one helluva a good start.




For main course, we needed some help deciding, because everything sounded delicious. Simon recommended the grilled fillet tagliata (R130) for JD - sliced rare fillet with parmesan and rocket, dressed in a blend of juices, garlic, and lemon, and thee panzerotti pasta with butternut, burnt butter, fresh sage, and walnuts (R105) for me. (Trust him, he knows his food!)

They were the closest to perfect I can imagine a meal being. I honestly don't know if I've ever enjoyed a dinner as much as this. The panzerotti pasta, Simon told me, is handmade freshly for your meal. All the other ingredients were fresh and delicious, and the combined effect was utter brilliance. I couldn't quite finish mine and although there was only a small amount left on my plate I requested a take away box for the rest. I couldn't bear the thought of every last morsel of this deliciousness personified not being eaten.



When it came to dessert, again we couldn't decide, so our waiter recommended the Tres Leches, a vanilla sponge cake soaked in condensed and evaporated milk, dark rum, and cream, topped with chantily cream (R45). It came topped with strawberries and surrounded by condensed milk and was the perfect end to a wonderful meal.


By this stage it had gotten dark and the stars were out, and I was feeling altogether on top of the world. Rabbit in the Moon really gives the whole experience - great food, great service, great ambiance. Thanks so much to Simon and the rest of the team for inviting us to experience it first hand, Rabbit in the Moon will go down as one of my all time favourite Jozi restaurants. I highly recommend it!


You can find Rabbit in the Moon at 198 Oxford Road, Illovo Mews (right next to the Thrupps centre), or call and book a table on 011 447 6720. Oh, and please be sure to tell them I sent you!

No comments:

Post a Comment