Sunday 9 March 2014

The Most Fun You'll Have In Cape Town: Cool Runnings Tobogganning


Remember I said I wasn't going to blog about our road-trip to the Cape? I wasn't. But I cannot get out of my head how much ridiculous fun we had on this particular day! So I had to. 

Hows my hardcore face? I think Jeff's needs work.
When Jeffers suggested that we go tobogganing, I was less than enthusiastic (like this). It's not that I was scared (who me? Never. Is that a spider?!). It's just that I've never looked at tobogganing and though "gee, that looks fun". In fact, it's always been more of a "gee look at those crazy people going at that crazy speed so crazily close to the ground. I wonder if their moms had them tested." But, like I said, I wasn't scared or anything.

I checked out their website, and there were photos of very little people on the toboggans. Not looking traumatized or anything! So I put on my big girl pants (I wasn't scared), and we ventured to Green Point. And then I was blown away.

Everything was run so smoothly, with awesome little details (like sparkling toilet seats) and a food shop and a watching deck. We got there early and it was already packed with people of all ages laughing and screaming and whizzing past us. I was excited!

The view from the top of the hill in the toboggan
It's not just the 800m ride-of-your-life-adrenaline-rush that's cool. You get on the toboggan at the bottom of the hill, and a wire track pulls you up to the top of the hill. It's totally relaxing and the view is quite glorious. And - bonus - no hiking up the hill!

Once you're quite relaxed and you've had a chance to sit in the toboggan queue and admire the gorgeous Cape Town landscape, they set you free on the track, and the real excitement starts! (In my case, "real excitement" is synonymous with "high pitched screaming" and some dogs may have started howling in the distance. But I wasn't scared, you guys.) And WOW, what a rush! 

The stop-go sticky thing
To be honest, it wasn't too scary at all, because each toboggan is fitted with a push-to-go, pull-to-stop level, so you can choose exactly how fast you want to ride down the track. There are also helpful people in yellow shirts with official looking walkie-talkies all the way down to give you advice and tell you when to slow down.


On my first trip, I went solo and enjoyed the ride at my own pace. On the second and third trips, Jeffers and I paired up and went together, and that was a whooole different story. I'm not sure that anyone explained the pull-to-stop part of the lever to Jeff, because it was balls to the wall all the way down!

Seriously though, it was the highlight of my holiday! So much fun, a great adrenaline rush, and a giant bread-pretzel to finish it all off (oh and did I mention the glittery loo seats?!).

Take my word for it and give this a try the next time you're in Cape Town. I guarantee you won't regret it.
You can find Cool Runnings on their website or on Facebook, or call them on 021 949 4439. Oh, and pack the sunblock.

No comments:

Post a Comment